Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Grand Grand Canyon


On Wednesday, June 17, I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time. We are camping at Grand Canyon Trailer Village on the South rim of the Grand Canyon. We took a short hike and we were there! It definitely lives up to its name! It was beautiful, colorful, and so amazing! It was about 16 miles across. While wandering around the park, we saw many types of animals like elk, mountain goats, mule deer, ravens and chipmunks. We walked part way down the Bright Angel Trail and also the South Kaibab Trail. We hiked the walkways around the rim of the canyon, saw a movie about history of the Grand Canyon, and we took long walks around the Grand Canyon Village. On our way to our next destination we stopped at the Desert View Watchtower, a tower overlooking the eastern part of the Grand Canyon and loaded with Native American symbols on the walls and staircases. After, we headed for Lake Powell.

3 comments:

  1. I don't suppose you were in the area where the Indians built a horseshoe-shaped viewing area made of transparent material so you seem to be walking on glass and can see everything below you. I don't think I would want that much of a close-up view, plus my fear of heights would really kick in!
    Love, Gradma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing! It is SO BIG.. try to soak it all in.
    Go Gators.
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete