Thursday, June 11, 2009

Carlsverygood Caverns!


On Thursday, June 11, we went to Carlsbad Caverns National Park in Carlsbad, NM. We saw many barren deserts on our way to the caverns. We watched cliffs go by with mini caves. When we got to Carlsbad Caverns, we walked in through the Natural Entrance. This is where Jim White first went in to explore the cave after he saw a huge cloud of smoke rising up from the mountain, but when he got closer to the cliff, he realized that the cloud was actually a swarm of bats! We went really deep into the cave and saw the Big Room, Bottomless Pit, the Rock of Ages, and many other rock formations. The last time we went into a cave was when J.T., Gradma, Mom, and I went to Ruby Falls in Chattanooga, TN but Mom and J.T. didn’t see the falls. They couldn’t breathe very well down underground,:(, but when we went to the Natural Entrance we didn’t have to worry because air circulates naturally down in the cave! :) Later in the afternoon we went to see a bat flight. At about 8 o’clock the bats took off. While the bats were spiraling out of the cave I asked the ranger that was directing the program how big the bats were. He said that their bodies were about as big as his thumb and their wingspan was about a foot long! He also said that each bat weighed about the same as three nickels! After the bats had all left our sight, we adopted a bat for five dollars! :) We didn’t get to take our bat home though. :( We named our bat Santana and the money we spent on him goes to research funds to learn about the bats! :) I got to take a bat home, but not a real bat! I took home a stuffed animal bat. Tomorrow we’re going to Albuquerque, New Mexico! :)

7 comments:

  1. Very well written, but I still don't have a fondness for bats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous that you got to see the bats! :) One day, I'll get out there...

    Keep the blogs coming! <3 you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piles of bat droppings, Batman, where did you park the Batmobile???

    Hey, guys, thanks for the latest blogs.

    Would have loved that cave!!

    How's the weather? love, MT Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blogs, together with a few other details in phone calls, gives me the feeling that I'm going along with you on your adventure. Last night I had a dream that I was there with you and we stopped at some weird place where there were people you knew from Florida, and we went in the water with our clothes on(?????)Out thoughts run wild in dreams.
    Love,
    Gradma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bats! Bats! We don't need no stinkin' bats! Yikes! Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Caverns trip sounds incredible!! Bats bare very cool!! Keep the blogs coming :) Go Gators!
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  7. EEks! a stuffed bat, really?! interestingly enough, year before last i was in smoky mts @ forbidden caverns and sooo enjoyed the caverns and bat stuff-really pretty cool-but i am sooo curious about albuquerque as i may have a chance to go to the hot air balloon festival in october...any info bring back-safe travels! keep us posted! robin dermake

    ReplyDelete